Friday, October 5, 2012

Ch.3. Q.2

In chapter 3 of Think, they go over Rhetorical devices, “the use of euphemisms, dysphemisms, hyperbole, and sarcasm to manipulate and persuade.” The types of rhetorical devices that are used tin manipulation are the following: Euphemism, Dysphemisms, Sarcasm, and Hyperbole.  According to the book, euphemisms are described as the replacement o f a term that has a negative association by a neutral or positive term such as, using the word pass away rather than the word died. I used this specific example because my doctor of 10 years has recently passed away. This has been extremely hard on me because he became a part of our family. I was having such difficulty dealing with this that I missed class and I talked to my professors and said, “My family friend recent passed away.” I use euphemisms almost every day when talking to my mom and sister. I say words such as, charming when I really want to say that person is rude. I also take pride in speaking fluent “sarcasm.” Sarcasm is described as the use of ridicule, insults, taunting, and/or caustic irony. This week my roommate is not allowed to have a job and is supposed to focus on school. She complained that her previous manager offered her old job back and she said she was scared her parents were going to become angry with her If she world. My response to her was “O.M.G. how unfortunate for you. You’re going to have income aside from mommy and daddy.” She laughed it off but I am known for being sarcastic half of the time.

1 comment:

  1. I am simliar to you and often utilize a lot of rhetorical devices in my speech. I tend to use euphemisms more or less because it is a way to be less emotionally attached to the sentence. It helps me remain positive and neutral. Using terms such as things sometimes doesn't hurt when talking to a person. Even though things might be broad and vague.. It may be a good word to replace the negative associations. Another rhetorical device I use often is sarcasm. I always like to accentuate my words like, Reallllly and OHHH. This can be used as sarcasm because it is used as ridicule.

    ReplyDelete