Friday, December 7, 2012

Week of December 3 - 9: Q.1

Over the semester, I have learned a number of concepts in this comm 41 course. I have learned how to recognize fallacies such as, Ad Hominen, Strawman, Appeal to Pity, False Dilemma and Slippery Slope. I want to pursue a career in law and if I am capable of mastering this concept, I will do pretty well as a lawyer. I learned that fallacies are very common in politics. Since this was an election year, it was good timing for me to learn about this because when the debates were on I listened closely to the types of fallacies used. Misleading language played an important role during the presidential debates and I learned that in this class for the first time. Lastly, I enjoyed learning about the use of rhetorical devices such as, euphemisms. I did not know that this concept had a name. This is something everyone does to make a tragedy sound better by a replacement of a positive word. Overall, I really enjoyed the numerous concepts that I learned in this class. I know I will utilize them someday in my career!

2 comments:

  1. It is funny to me that you mentioned the campaign in your blog because every time something came on that was election related I would think about my critical thinking concepts too. I would pick apart their conversations and try and relate them to the course material. I loved that most of their debates and speeches contained fallacies and manipulation of language and structure. It made me feel like I was capable of dissecting an argument accurately. I think that I will also use the skills that I have learned in this course in my career and just in my everyday life. I think that this is one of those few GE courses that I will actually retain and use the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed all of the concepts that were provided and was surprised by how useful each one was in everyday life. I guess, in a class about critical decision making, I figured I would have little to learn since I’m already an adult and capable of making my own decisions. It didn’t take me long to realize how wrong I was in that assumption. This class showed me that there was still plenty for me to learn about arguments and critical thinking. It even opened my eyes to certain mistakes I was making and showed me how I could do better.

    ReplyDelete