Friday, September 28, 2012

Ch.2 Q.2



            Thomas Aquinas, the author of Summa Theologica, provides valid points about the existence of god. His first example was the following: ”Now whatever is in motion is put in motion by another, for nothing can be in motion except it is in potentiality to that towards which it is in motion..” this statement is somewhat confusing but the point the author tries to make is if something is in motion, it must have been put in motion by something/someone. Aquinas explains that according to science, things will continue to be in motion until someone/something stops the motion. The question that is implied by Thomas is how did god come about if something needs to be there before god to start something? I would have to agree with Aquinas and his arguments over Dawkins. Dawkins argues against every argument Thomas makes with the statement that god is immune to “regress”. I was raised in a catholic household but I do not agree with the baggage it carries such as, saints. I strictly believe that there is a god and agree with Aquinas.

1 comment:

  1. I am also Catholic and so I also lean more towards Aquinas. However, I still somewhat accept the possibility of the theory of evolution. I still do agree with you though on how Dawkins argues, how he argues against every argument Aquinas makes. He sort of just attacks Aquinas and does not provide much reasoning behind his own logic. Dawkins used his emotions ineffectively unlike Aquinas who more calmly and straightforwardly stated his claims why God exists. His claims ended up making sense more than Dawkins because they really made me think like why is it that we are designed this way, why we cease to exist.

    ReplyDelete