Friday, September 14, 2012

Chapter 7: Q. 1



According to Think, an inductive argument claims that a conclusion probably follows the premises. Most of our arguments are inductive because we think if this, then that. My previous inductive argument was about the death penalty and the views of Sister Prejean. My argument was the following: Murder is wrong. The death penalty is murder. Therefore, the death penalty is probably wrong. According to the text, there are certain words that work as warning signs for an inductive argument such as, probably. My argument is an inductive argument because there is a possibility of error in my argument. For example, the death penalty is not always seen as murder therefore, the death penalty is not viewed as wrong.  We use inductive reasoning in our everyday life by judging the weather and deciding what to wear for that day or when we judge people based on assumptions we make by what they are wearing  and what color their hair is.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aliana Grey! I really appreciated and enjoyed your post about your inductive argument and using the death penalty as an example. I especially was impressed with how you were able to connect it back to a previous lesson we had last week! Its posts like that which make it easier to link it up (in my mind I suppose) and make the topic this week even clearer. For me I liked how you distinguished how since the conclusion most likely will follow the premises, this means that inductive argument claims are used for things that are encountered in daily life.

    ReplyDelete